Conflict and disputes usually result in heightened stress, fear, and even illness. Divorce and family conflicts are some of the most emotional and stress producing encounters one can experience.
Mediation is a highly successful way forward. The success rates for mediation are better than those for litigation. At Redwood a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist certified in Divorce, Family, and Insurance mediation provides the guidance of a neutral, experienced third party who provides:
- A safe and confidential setting for expressing your concerns and needs
- A guided journey from issues of great importance to those that are more quickly resolved
- A negotiated and non-violent approach to settle ownership disputes, child placement and schedules, and financial matters
- A written and signed agreement for decisions negotiated
The advantages of mediating versus ligating are many:
- You are making the decisions related to your family, finances, and ownership not a court of law
- Mediation is less expensive than litigation
- Mediation is less stressful than engaging in disputes in a lawyer’s office or in a courtroom
- Mediation can be faster than working within the court system and produces a document which can be presented directly to the court for filing
The advantages of a Marriage and Family Therapist as a mediator are also many:
- Family Therapists are trained in family dynamics, non-violent communication, working with individuals experiencing anxiety, stress, and fear
- Family Therapists who are qualified Divorce and Family Mediators are also trained in the processes, protocols, and court requirements
- Family Therapists are able to create a non-judgmental environment in which your needs are clearly heard and respected
You may be asking if a lawyer is necessary when you choose to engage in mediation. Some individuals seek a lawyer’s advice related to specific laws and court proceedings. Lawyers and mediators often work together to bring about a resolution that is agreeable to everyone involved. In most cases when a mediator is engaged, the high cost of legal and court costs are significantly reduced. And, lawyers often welcome the involvement of a mediator to resolve most of the issues outside of the courtroom saving time and money for the client.
If you have questions about mediation, reach out to us today by phone or email.